Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2012

I love technology

I love technology. There, I said it. My name is Lisa and I am a technoholic. Not that I have every little gadget you can imagine – although I would if I were rich – I have a few useful bits and pieces and they make my life fun, co-ordinated, and chaotic all at once.
My iPad is probably my favourite piece of technology at the moment. I have had the iPad 2 since the day it came out and it has been my best friend ever since. We often sit down with a coffee and have girl talk. Well not quite, but it does pretty much everything else for me.
Thanks to convergence of many different technologies, we are able to keep practically our entire lives in our pockets. Gadgets such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops are enabling us to carry large amounts of information with us everywhere we go. We can share photos and videos with loved ones the instant they are taken. We can store study notes, recipes, music, movies, and anything else you can think of, all with the touch of a button (…or screen!).
What is the downside to this? If we are unlucky, we can lose every piece of information we own in one fowl swoop. Well, thanks to synchronisation and cloud technology that is becoming less the case. The biggest problem I can see at the moment is the digital divide. Although it is gradually becoming easier to afford these technologies, there are still many who cannot. Are they being left behind? Are some kids at a disadvantage because their friends are able to store all of their homework on one device and easily read it wherever they go (yeah, sure they do that!)?
I cannot wait for the day when every kid at school is given an iPad. It sure beats carrying around all those heavy text books. The future of technology is very exciting, especially when you imagine how our digital life will be in 50 years from now.
Now, if only I could remember all my passwords!

No comments:

Post a Comment